AMCAT English Topic Wise Questions
7 – 8 Questions
10 – 12 Questions
Knowledge has turned out to be mans greatest asset in mastering and conquering nature. The word science means literally knowledge. It is this quest and thrust for knowledge and the curiosity of man to know things beyond his reach that resulted in his becoming the lord of this plant. His never ending pursuit to unearth the reason behind phenomenon has resulted in endless discoveries and inventions, which have proved to be the grate stepping stones in the progress of mankind.
Inventions like the telephone, radio, t.v, telegraph, transistors, airplanes, automobiles, steam engine, electricity, wireless, telescopes, microscope etc, have changed man’s life forever. There have been inventions and discoveries in all aspects of life. Science has worked grater miracles in the fields of health and medicine and has been the greatest weapon in man’s battle against diseases of various kinds. Vaccination is a miracle in the field of science. Penicillin, streptomycin, radium and x-rays have turned out be great blessings.
The discovery of the atom and its structure has been one of the most remarkable discoveries made by man. The quantum theory, the electricity along with the great findings of Einstein, Neils Bohr etc, have revolutionised the world of science forever. Computer and information technology are the latest revolutions in the field of science. With the coming of mobiles, internet, web conferencing etc, the world has shrunk into a cyber village where time and distance have no meaning are at least are no longer barriers.
Technology is on a rise every day. Each new day brings better technology with it. However, we should learn to us our knowledge constructively. Only constructive uses of science can guarantee the continuation of mankind on this earth. Moreover, it is man who is the great generator, creator and inventor of all this knowledge and technology. We should be warned of becoming slaves to our own creations and inventions. Only then, can science be a blessing and a miracle. Science, if used for the betterment of mankind and society can bring about changes in our lives by making better, more comfortable and worthwhile.
1. What was the first thing that the man learnt to do?
A. To conquer the nature. B. To battle with his fellow men.
C. To live leisurely in the nature. D. To eat and sleep.
2. How has the world shrunk for man technologically?
A. Continents on the earth are drifting closer to each other
B. Video conferencing, the internet has made this possible
C. Development of medicines
D. The planet is becoming smaller
3. According to the given passage, …………………………. is the miracle in the field of science
A. computers B. vaccination C. atoms and its structure D. airplane
4. Mark the option which is closest to the meaning of the word given below
A. renounce B. assert C. give up D. continue
5. The following sentence consists of a word or a phrase which is highlighted. Each of them is followed by four words or phrases. Choose the word or the phrase which is closest in meaning to highlighted word or phrase.
My only major complaint was that the remote was thin and felt flimsy.
A. meager B. substantial C. sturdy D. plausible
6. For the given question, choose the alternative which best expresses the sentence in Active/Passive voice.
Mr. Tirupati reviewed the book.
The book has been reviewed by Mr. Tirupati.
The book had been reviewed by Mr. Tirupati.
The book is reviewed by Mr. Tirupati.
The book was reviewed by Mr. Tirupati.
7. Fill in the blanks with the most suitable option.
____________ the police immediately.
To call Call Been calling Called
8. Choose the option which gives the closest meaning to the phrase given below.
Back Seat Driver
Instructor from backend.
People who criticize from the sideline
9. Choose the option which gives the closest to the phrase given below.
To sink fast
To evaporate fast Absorbing fast To sink down Becoming worse and worse
ans: Becoming worse and worse
10. Mark the option which is closest to the meaning of the word given below.
Appease Alleviate Mollify Aggravating